Monday, March 19, 2012

You are "super," by being WHO YOU ARE! :)

"The Lord did not people the earth with a vibrant orchestra of personalities only to value the piccolos of the world. Every instrument is precious and adds to the complex beauty of the symphony. All of Heavenly Father's children are different in some degree, yet each has his own beautiful sound that adds depth and richness to the whole."-- Joseph B. Wurthlin, Apostle, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
 I saw this quote today and it really inspired me. It inspired me to be my best SARAH, not to just look at someone else and think "Oh, she's perfect! I need to be just like her." I think that too often us women will compare ourselves to others, expecting to be amazing at everything. I had a teacher once that really made me think by creating this diagram, explaining what happens when we compare ourselves to others:
She started with examples such as "Sally has the perfect body, I need to look like her" or "Amy's so great at the piano, I need to be like her" or "what a perfect organizer Jane is, I need to be a better organizer" or "look at how much fun Anna is, why don't I have fun like that?" or "wow, Lizzy's awesome at basketball, I need to get out there and shoot some hoops!" All of these seem fine, except when we expect ourselves to be this "super woman" we've created out of everyone's strengths that doesn't exist. All of us have our special talents, our special strengths. And no one can be perfect at everything! That's what helps us work together. If you're a piccolo, be a piccolo! If you're a violin, be one, and be proud of it! It takes a whole bunch of people to make a symphony, not just one. So be who you are and LOVE it! YOU are super! Have a great day! Love, me! :)

1 comment:

  1. You're a great conductor of a symphony of kids learning to play their instruments. Thanks for fine tuning them!

    ReplyDelete